Dance Massage is an experience that uses music as it’s main focus to encourage communication between the individual and the Dance Massage partner. A variety of sensory objects/tools are explored on different areas of the upper body and hands along to the rhythm and beats within the preferred piece of music.
· Is a shared experience between the individual and partner.
· Explores different sounds/rhythms in different ways.
· Supports the individual to be aware of the music.
· May result in an individual showing preference for particular music or tactile object.
· Supports fundamental communication skills such as vocalising, turn-taking, echoing and making choices.
· Supports the individuals awareness of their own body.
Examples of equipment that can be used, e.g. tapping with a soft wooden spoon rotating in circles with a textured fabric to the different tempo of the music.