Early maths skills involve:
- the understanding the properties of objects, e.g. object permanence– knowing that an object still exists even if it hidden. This requires the ability to form a mental representation of the object.
- spatial relations, e.g. a child relating their body to objects near or far.
- the ability to problem solve, for example, planning actions with objects and / or people to have an end result ,e.g. cause and effect.
You can work with your child to:
- Develop attention and early sensory skills by looking at, tracking and handling a variety of objects.
- Encourage them to engage with shared participation throughout various activities to widen their experiences.
- Offer them opportunities to demonstrate consistent preferences and responses to objects, activities and people . They may demonstrate this response by making sounds, gestures, facial movements and may result in them expressing simple needs, e.g. requesting or protesting an activity.
- Develop their understanding of object permanence, e.g. placing a piece of material over an object that your child knows is there and seeing if they remove or attempt to remove it, moving an object away quickly and looking at their response.
- Practice their cause and effect skills and understanding that their actions can make things happen, e.g. understanding that if they bang a drum it will make a sound, pressing buttons on toys for a response, understanding that verbalising/making a specific movement will gain the attention of somebody.
- Develop their anticipation to activities and experiences through repetition of them.
- Five Little Ducks
- Ten Green Bottles
- Five Little Men
- Five Little Speckled Frogs
- en in the Bed
Use props with the number songs to make them more engaging and allow your child to see visual representations of the numbers.
Online Number Songs
(Remember to play these through View Pure to protect your child's safety online)
Ten Little Numbers- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dk9Yt1PqQiw
Pancake Manor ‘Count to Ten’-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diMJIlv-4N0
Pancake Manor ‘Count 1,2,3!’- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ku3FueLlV8
In The Big Blue Sea- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jxzZMw89qY
Let’s Count Up To Ten- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jxzZMw89qY
One To Hundred- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82P6IRnueog
Count and Move-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq4UAss33qA
How Many Fingers?-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNw1SSz18Gg